About the Guide
A sector strategy can be an effective, collaborative approach to developing meaningful career pathways in regional industries that connect participants to job placement, postsecondary education, and career growth. The Sector Strategy How-to Guide supports DOL YouthBuild grantees with using a sector strategy approach for career pathway development.
Components of the Guide
Components of the guide include an Overview of the Sector Strategy How-to Guide, six (6) Topics in Brief, and five (5) Industry Spotlights. Programs can integrate each resource individually based on their unique experience with sector strategy work. They can also utilize the resources in sequential order by career pathway development stages. To access each resource individually use the list below:
Overview of the Guide & Sector Strategies:
Topics in Brief: The six Topics in Brief introduce a resource for aligning Construction Plus (C+) career pathways to a sector strategy. Each brief includes Plug and Play templates and resources to contextualize to a local community and YouthBuild program.
- Community Asset Mapping Topic in Brief
- Competency Models and Mapping Topic in Brief
- Industry Partner Assessment Topic in Brief
- Labor Market Information & Industry Audits Topic in Brief
- Organizational Capacity Assessment Topic in Brief
- Participant Career Readiness Assessment Topic in Brief
Word Format of Plug and Play Resources: For programs interested in using or accessing the Plug and Play Resources in Word format, click here.
Industry Spotlights: The five Industry Spotlights contain career facts for in-demand fields. YouthBuild programs can use Industry Spotlights to support research and analysis of industry sectors.
- Healthcare Industry Spotlight
- IT Industry Spotlight
- Manufacturing Industry Spotlight
- Hospitality and Culinary Industry Spotlight
- Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics Industry Spotlight
How to Use the Guide by Career Pathway Development Stages:
If programs choose to follow the guide in sequential order, YouthBuild programs can follow the typical stages of career pathway development:
- Plan & Evaluate: Gather data and engage industry partners to design career pathways that meet the needs of YouthBuild participants and employers
- Design & Implement: Ensure that staff and partners are prepared and invested, pathways are accessible to participants, and training is employer-driven
- Build & Evolve: Use continuous improvement processes to identify new opportunities and gaps, evaluate partnerships, improve the process, and review changes